Acceptable High School Graduation Types

Greenville Technical College accepts the following as proof of high school graduation: (click here for full policy)

  • Standard high school diploma or GED (General Educational Development Diploma). All public, private and home school associations must be accredited by a regional accrediting body or listed with the department of education in the state where the school resides.
  • Foreign high school diplomas must meet the equivalent of a high school diploma. Contact World Education Services (WES) or Josef Silny ( to request an evaluation and to have the official report sent to the Admissions office. Evaluations must be received three (3) months prior to the semester the student intends to enroll.

Types of awards

  • Standard High School Diploma – The diploma awarded to students who completed state requirements for graduation from high school.
  • General Educational Development (GED) Diploma – A diploma sponsored by the Department of Education in each state that certifies the recipient has academic skills of high school completion. It is equivalent to a state (standard) high school diploma.
  • Occupational/Alternative/District Diploma – Recognizes the accomplishments of students who participated in the special education curriculum of individual school districts. Note: These diplomas are not equivalent to a state (standard) high school diploma.
  • High School Certificate - Awarded to students who did not successfully pass the exit exam given by the individual school district. Note: These certificates are not equivalent to a state (standard) high school diploma.

Exceptions to diploma/GED requirements

Greenville Technical College admits some applicants under special categories and allows enrollment in certain certificate programs that do not require a high school diploma or GED. Please note, however, that programs must be at least 16 semester credit hours in length in order to qualify for Federal financial aid (programs less than 16 semester credit hours will qualify for lottery funds).

Effective Fall Semester 2012, students enrolling at the college for the first time without a high school diploma or GED WILL NOT be eligible for Federal financial aid. Students without a high school diploma or GED who enroll for the first time for Summer Term WILL be eligible for Federal financial aid for the duration of their program of study if they meet Ability to Benefit requirements.

Note: Admissions officers will review documents submitted and make a final decision about acceptance.