The Greenville Technical College Firefighter/EMT Cadet program is an accelerated training program that prepares graduates for employment with most state fire departments and Emergency Medical Services agencies. At completion of this program, the student will be able to test for certification as a Firefighter 1, Firefighter 2 and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
This hands-on, engaging program is offered twice a year during the fall and spring semesters. Classes for this accelerated 18-week program run Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day (excluding school holidays).
The 2016 fall semester program begins August 8. Class size is limited - apply today!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN IN THE PROGRAM
This program features intense scenario-driven training, using state-of-the-art props depicting accurate, real-life situations. Students receive tailored instruction by qualified instructors who are also employed in their specific area of expertise.
- Firefighter 1
- Firefighter 2
- Emergency trauma and medical care
- Hazmat Operations
- Rope Rescue Operations
- Rescuing The Rescuer
- Flammable Liquids And Gases
- Surviving The Mayday
Program requirements and pre-requisites:
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Placement into Math 101 and English 101
- Provide a physician’s statement prior to FST 102 clearing you to wear a respirator with no restrictions on your ability to perform firefighter program training. (FST Release form - pdf)
- Provide a portion of the personal protective equipment (firefighter boots, gloves, and flash hood); other tools and equipment will be provided by the college.
- Pass both a drug screen and criminal background check.
Students interested in the program will need to complete the Greenville Technical College admissions process, outlined in these Enrollment Steps. Students are encouraged to contact faculty prior to or just after starting this process to assist with any questions or needs along the way.