Transitions Program

Finding a new path can be challenging. The Transitions program at Greenville Technical College, funded by the federal Carl D. Perkins Grant, is designed for those in transition periods in their lives. The program offers help with college expenses beyond tuition so that students can focus on their academic work and reach their goals.

Our mission is to serve special populations like single moms, expectant mothers, students entering a career traditionally filled by the opposite gender, homemakers re-entering the workforce, people from economically disadvantaged families, students with disabilities, and ESL students. We work with academic and other support areas of the college to prepare them for high earning careers and equip them with the necessary resources to excel.

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance is available to eligible students (see Qualifications section below) and may include: 

Childcare Assistance
Daycare assistance for participants with children four years of age or younger

Gas stipends or bus tickets

A maximum of $300 per year for books

Tools & Equipment
Tools and equipment for classroom or clinical instruction

Licensing Exam Fees
Fees for exams such as NCLEX, NACES, etc.

Aid to purchase necessary uniforms

Support Services

Balancing personal, academic and work life can be complicated. Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to turn to get help. The Transitions Staff can steer students toward many of the services provided by Transitions and Greenville Technical College such as:

  • Academic Coaching
  • Academic Tutoring
  • Call Me MISTER
  • Career Services
  • Counseling
  • Financial Aid
  • Student Activities
  • Student Disabilities Services
  • Student Housing
  • Veterans Assistance
  • TRiO Student Support Services



The Transitions program is designed to assist students for a maximum of two years who meet the following qualifications:

  • Returning Greenville Technical College student with at least 6 credit hours earned
  • Enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
  • GPA of at least 2.25
  • Belong to one or more special population categories, such as
    • Individual with a disability: an individual with any disability (as defined in Section 3 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990)
    • Economically disadvantaged: an individual or family who is eligible for AFDC or Food Stamps, or who is in receipt of a Pell Grant, or identified as low income by other means as used by the state
    • Nontraditional field: occupations of fields of work, including careers in computer science, technology, or other emerging hi skills occupations, for which individuals from one gender comprise less than 25% of the individuals employed in each such occupation or field of work
    • Single parent (including pregnant women): a parent who is unmarried or legally separated from a spouse and has custody or joint custody of a minor child or children 
    • Displaced homemaker: an individual who has worked primarily without remuneration to care for a home and family, and for that reason has diminished marketable skills; has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by that income; or is a parent whose youngest dependent child will become ineligible to receive assistance under part A or the Title IV of the Social Security Act not later than 2 years after the date on which the parent applies for assistance under this title; and is unemployed or underemployed and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment 
    •  Limited English proficiency: an individual who has limited ability in speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language, and whose native language is a language other than English; or who lives in a family or community environment in which a language other than English is the dominant language
  • Enrolled in career and technical education majors, including


    Administrative Office Technology
    Supply Chain Management

    Public Service

    Criminal Justice
    Early Care & Education
    Human Services

    Health and Wellness

    Animal Studies
    Computed Tomography
    Culinary Institute of the Carolinas
    Diagnostic Medical Sonography
    Emergency Medical Technology
    Fire Science Technology
    Health Information Management
    Magnetic Resonance Imaging
    Massage Therapy
    Medical Imaging Sciences
    Medical Laboratory Technology
    Occupational Therapy Assistant
    Patient Care Technician
    Personal Trainer
    Pharmacy Technician
    Physical Therapist Assistant
    Radiologic Technology
    Respiratory Care
    Surgical Technology

    Technology Programs

    Aircraft Maintenance Technology
    Architectural Engineering Technology
    Auto Body Repair
    Automotive Technology
    Building Construction Technology
    Computer Technology
    Construction Engineering Technology
    Diesel Equipment Technology
    Electronics Engineering Technology
    Engineering Design Technology
    Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration (HVAC/R)
    Machine Tool Technology
    Mechanical Engineering Technology
    Truck Driver Training


  • Assistance to all participants is limited to two years including summers.
  • Students in Associate of Arts and Associate of Science programs are not eligible.
  • No assistance will be given if a student loan is in default.
  • Student must be in good academic standing.

Apply for the Transitions Program

  • Complete a “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) available at the Financial Aid Office or at Return the completed form to the Financial Aid Office where a staff member will review it with you before you submit it.
  • Read the Transitions Application  carefully and complete all items. An incomplete application will not be considered.
  • After completing the application please provide the following items:
    • Current class schedule
    • FAFSA Student Aid Report
    • Documentation of disability or letter from the Student Disabilities Services office (if disabled)
  • Once complete, please bring completed application to the Transitions Office located on the Barton campus (Student Center Building 105, room 216).