Earn college credit while in high school

Want to earn college credits while you’re still in high school? Early College at Greenville Technical College means that if you’re a junior or senior, you can use your early dismissal from high school to take Greenville Tech classes in the afternoon, or you can take classes at your career center.

Getting an early start on college credits will:

  • Let you experience college work
  • Save you time and money
  • Help you explore career options
  • Allow you to lighten your load or finish college ahead of schedule

Who is eligible?

If you are currently a high school junior or senior, you are eligible to enroll in Early College courses as long as you meet placement testing requirements. Juniors can enroll in one course each semester, and seniors can take as many as two courses. Early College students may not enroll in online courses.

To be accepted into Early College classes, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

University Transfer classes

  • Submit SAT or ACT scores. You can waive Greenville Tech’s placement test with these scores:
    • SAT – Critical Reading (previously Verbal) & Math scores of 480 each
    • ACT – English and Math scores of 19 each
  • If you don’t have qualifying SAT, ACT, or AP scores, you’ll need to complete Greenville Tech’s placement testing
  • For ENG 101 (English Composition I), you must have completed at least three years of high school English
  • For University Transfer lab science courses, you must have completed one year of the equivalent high school lab science course (for example: high school biology is required to take BIO 101)

Technical courses

  • Acceptable score on the Greenville Tech placement test 

How do I enroll in Early College?

  1. Complete the student section of the Early College enrollment form, including social security number and signatures of students and parents.  
    • If you need to request an exception for participation in the Early College program, use the Exception Request form included in the enrollment packet. Requests are not guaranteed and will be granted at the college’s discretion.
  2. Complete the legal status form included with the enrollment form and be prepared to provide the proper documentation when submitting the form at the time of enrollment. If you cannot prove legal presence in this country, you will not be eligible for the Early College program.
  3. Complete the South Carolina Lottery Tuition Assistance Program form and submit it with the enrollment form.
  4. Take the enrollment form to your high school guidance counselor to complete Section 2 (For High School Counselors’ Use Only section), verifying high school and college minimum requirements for participation.
  5. Submit the completed enrollment form to the Greenville Tech Admissions Office located in the Admissions and Registration Center at McAlister Square or to Student Services at the Brashier, Benson, or Northwest campuses. If you are enrolling in classes at a Greenville County Schools career center, submit your paperwork at the center. 
  6. Submit your SAT/ACT scores or take our placement exam. These scores are used to qualify you for college classes. Detailed score requirements are included with the requirements information.
  7. Register for classes with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center at the Admissions and Registration Center in McAlister Square or at the Brashier, Benson, or Northwest campuses.
  8. Pay applicable tuition and fees. The $35 application fee is waived.